James I. Myers
home: Logansport, IN 46947
8th AF 489th BG 846th BS
B-24 # 295155
1. shot down on our 31st mission, July 31, 1944, near Saarbrücken
2. to a small town jail, can't recall the name. I and our crew pilot
3. the town's people came to the jail to take us out and hang us. The soldiers stopped them. Next morning early they trucked us out to St. Wendel.
4. We came by truck. The camp was - as I recall on the east side of the town up on higher ground. We could see St. Wendel in the distance.
5. not really
6. don't remember, not to long, maybe a couple of weeks
7. about 200
8. only US I think
9. steel metall buildings, there were three of them, dirt floor with some straw. There were guards and dogs to secure us.
10. I believe I went to Dulag Luft at Wetzlar by train
11. yes. One evening we could see into the town and saw dust and gun fierced gun fire. They said that Patton was in town. Next morning he was gone.
13. I still have my Germany dog tags that I was given, I believe while at St. Wendel. Stalag Luft 6 No. 4123
Fifty some years, it is heard to remember it all. The building they said had been highway truck garages. Up on a hill east of town. I don't remember what date I got to that Stalag Luft IV near Kiefheide, anyway Feb 6, 1945, we were marched out. We walk over 500 miles in all kind of weather, very little to eat. People would throw sticks, fl___ pat stones etc. at us. On April 26, 1945, I walked across a pontoon at Halle into American hands. I have a bumb hand and can't write to well. Hope I have been of some help to you. Good luck and write again if you wish.
8 AF 489 BG 346 BS
Date 31 July 1944
|P Arthur P. Bertanzetti 1Lt O-693450 RTD|
|Co William J. Bunton 1Lt O-818100 RTD|
|Nav Albert W. Boam 1Lt O-703930 RTD|
|Bomb Thomas O. Day Jr. 1Lt O-698529 RTD|
|Egn James I. Myers TSgt 15382361 RTD|
|WG Edward F. Hogran SSgt 32639449 RTD|
|BG John Garcia SSgt 38465213 RTD|
|WG Richard J. Janssen SSgt 19124303 RTD|
|ROp Marlin O. Gehrke SSgt 36297030 RTD|
|TG James R. Brown Jr. Sgt 33627626 RTD|
crash site: area of Saarburg, 12 km N of Hagenau, Alsace
aircraft completely destroyed by ground fire