Chapter 14: The Palm House
Site Identification: The Palm House 41BX639 (New City Block 152, Lot 75)
Address: 240 Blum Street
CAR archaeologists investigated the Palm House (Figure 13-1) in December 1984 and again in March 1985. The site was chosen for testing as an example of a modest adobe built after the Civil War and occupied by a middle-class German family for a comparatively long period of time.
Friedrick ("Fritz") Palm purchased the lot in June 1867 from Charles N. Riotte. There is no evidence that Riotte ever occupied or constructed a dwelling at the site. Palm was born in Haenlopeza, Prussia in 1825