Schriftzug
Carl Nikolaus Riotte -> Carl Nikolaus Riotte -> Institute of Texan Cultures Vertical File collection

Riotte was born in State of Prussia, Germany. Member of noble family, so was well educated in law. For number of years held position of District Judge. He came to Ameica as self-exiled refugee. Served as president of railroad directory for Western Texas(?). Here he originated and upheld Free-Soll Party, which distinguished that sole portion of south. In 1850-51 Riotte built a 2 story home of stone and lumber at corner of S. Alamo and Market. Designer was Wm. Thielepape, civil engineer and architect. By mid 1850's he sold the home to Maj. George T. Howard. From Jan.I, 1853 until Jan,I,1854 he served as Alderman in Mayor J.M. Devine's administration. The election of 1854 C.N. Riotte ran for mayor in a big field of 19 candidates. John M. Cerolan won with 254 votes and Riotte received 196. He was a charter member of Casino Ass'n, and served one term as president. In 1857 he served on the Literary Committee with Dr. Schoemann and Dr. Theodore Hertzberg. On May 13, 1859 in Herald it was reported Chas. N. Riotte was President of German-English School on S. Alamo St. On Feb 28, 1861, Gen. David E. Twiggs surrendered all Federal forts in Texas to Confederete commissioners: Devine, Mäverick and Luckett in Veramendi House. Riotte was first in state ordered to leave.

    On June 8, 1861, Pres. Lincoln appointed Riotte U.S. Minister to Costa Rica, where he stayed for 6 1/2 years. Pres. Johnston appointed own choice to post. However Secy of State Wm.eSeward highly praised Riotte for his work at San Jose, Costa Rica. He spent next 2 years in New Jersey and on April. 21, 1869 Pres. Grant appointed Charles N. Riotte §ig Minister to Nicaragua. San Antonio's R6publicans Jas. Newcomb and Edward Degener highly recommended Riotte. On Jan i5, 1873 he left the office.

     On April 30, 1873, was a guest at the Menger Hotel while visiting old friends. During the war he lost all property in Texas. From New York City in letter dated June II, 1874 to Secy of State Hamilton Fish, he asked for return of documents about his work in Costa Rica and added he was leaving shortly for Europe. Riotte had a large family

 

State Archives Washington

List Charters Members Casino

Herald Jan 1, 1953

 

 

 

San Antonio in 1873

Unlike most Texas bird's-eye views, Augustus Koch's depiction of San Antonio does not include a train, because the railroad did not arrive in the Alamo City until 1877. The most obvious aspects of the city, viewed from the northwest, are its many public plazas and the winding San Antonia River, San Fernando Church is located on the west side of the Main Plaza, with the Bexar County Courthouse immediately to the north, a few doors down Soledad Street. The most famous building in the city is the Alamo, the former mission that served as a fort during the Texas Revolution.

    The second largest city in the state with a population of 12,256 in 1870, San Antonio was also unlike other Texas cities—and similar to some of the !arger American cities, such as New York City and Chicago—in its racial diversity. Koch's lithograph documents the American, German, African?American, and even Polish neighborhoods, but does not call attention to the large population of Tejanos, the majority of whom had settled in the neighborhood west of San Pedro Creek, shown flowing from northwest to south at the right-hand side of the image toward its confluence with the San Antonio River. Koch includes a number of small, nondescript structures in the area, perhaps intended to represent jacciles (huts made of wood, mud, adobe, river cane, and other found materials). This diversity is confirmed by the fact that Koch includes four Catholic churches in his view: Englishspeaking, German, Spanish, and Polish. As was his habit, Koch called attention to the African?American community by including two of their churches and a school. Unfortunately, the four missions other than the Alamo.

 

Soure: Inventory of the Institute of Texan Cultures Vertical File collection,undated

    The Institute of Texan Cultures (ITC), a museum and campus of the University of Texas at San Antonio, was established in 1965 by the 59th Texas Legislature. Originally housing the Texas Pavilion at HemisFair '68, it was designed to study the ethnic groups that settled in Texas. The ITC Library was established in 1965 as a repository for books and images of artifacts being collected by researchers preparing exhibits for the Texas Pavilion.

    MS 366 Vertical Files

The vertical files were started in 1967 by the original Institute of Texan Cultures research staff, under the direction of R. Henderson Shuffler. This material was used for planning the exhibits for the Texas Pavilion at HemisFair. Staff members and student helpers toured the state making copies of items in libraries and private collections. After the fair, the research staff -- and later library staff-- continued to add to these files for exhibit updates and for use in publications, audiovisuals, and other ITC products. The general file was started for items that didn’t fit into the ethnic category.

 

David Emanuel Twiggs (1790-1862). Nach dem Mexikanisch-Amerikanischen Krieg erhielt er einen Brevet-Rang als Generalmajor und kommandierte das Department von Texas. Sein Kommando schloss über 20% der US-Army ein, welche die Grenze zwischen der USA und Mexiko bewachte. Als sich die Staaten begannen abzuspalten, traf sich Twiggs mit drei konföderierten Kommissaren, u.a. Philip N. Luckett und Samuel A. Maverick, und übergab ihnen sein ganzes Kommando. Zum Zeitpunkt seiner Übergabe hatte er in San Antonio annähernd 200 Unionssoldaten unter seinem Kommando, der Rest seiner Truppen war verstreut entlang der Grenze. Eine 2.000 Mann starke Sezessionistenmiliz traf in der Stadt ein mit dem Ziel, das Unionsarsenal dort zu erbeuten. Zahlenmäßig unterlegen gab er am 19. Februar 1861 auf. Daraufhin wurde er wegen Hochverrats aus der US-Army entlassen und nahm ein Offizierspatent als Generalmajor der Konföderierten Staaten an. Er starb 1862 an einer Lungenentzündung in Augusta, Georgia.

 

wikipedia (gekürzt)

Historische Forschungen · Roland Geiger · Alsfassener Straße 17 · 66606 St. Wendel · Telefon: 0 68 51 / 31 66
E-Mail: rolgeiger(at)aol.com · (c)2009 hfrg.de

Diese Website durchsuchen

Suchen & Finden  
erweiterte Suche